Kundalini Splendor

Kundalini Splendor <$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, January 27, 2006

Rumi and Divine Love 

Once again, I am totally seduced by this wonderful poem by Rumi, which was Ivan Granger's selection for his Poetry Chaikhana verse today. Thanks again, Ivan, for putting us in touch with such deeply moving verses to begin our day. (If you haven't done so already, go to his site and sign up for a free daily sacred poem--the site is www.poetry-chaikhana.com )

What can I do, Muslims? I do not know myself.

By Jelaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)

English version by Bernard Lewis



What can I do, Muslims? I do not know myself.
I am neither Christian nor Jew, neither Magian nor Muslim,
I am not from east or west, not from land or sea,
not from the shafts of nature nor from the spheres of the firmament,
not of the earth, not of water, not of air, not of fire.
I am not from the highest heaven, not from this world,
not from existence, not from being.
I am not from India, not from China, not from Bulgar, not from Saqsin,
not from the realm of the two Iraqs, not from the land of Khurasan.
I am not from the world, not from beyond,
not from heaven and not from hell.
I am not from Adam, not from Eve, not from paradise and not from Ridwan.
My place is placeless, my trace is traceless,
no body, no soul, I am from the soul of souls.
I have chased out duality, lived the two worlds as one.
One I seek, one I know, one I see, one I call.
He is the first, he is the last, he is the outer, he is the inner.
Beyond "He" and "He is" I know no other.
I am drunk from the cup of love, the two worlds have escaped me.
I have no concern but carouse and rapture.
If one day in my life I spend a moment without you
from that hour and that time I would repent my life.
If one day I am given a moment in solitude with you
I will trample the two worlds underfoot and dance forever.
O Sun of Tabriz, I am so tipsy here in this world,
I have no tale to tell but tipsiness and rapture.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?