Kundalini Splendor

Kundalini Splendor <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 27, 2006

Where I Live 

My dear friend Michael wrote the following description of my new location (for another purpose) and I reprint it here because I think it sums up the major aspects of this new address. (Please ignor the odd spacing--I tried to correct it, but copy/paste excerpts from e-mail seem to come through in a most eccentric way, and are apparently impossible to correct on a blog.) He was a saint during this horrendous move process, helping me in every conceivable way. I also had much help from others--Jan and Stephanie between them packed all my books in short order. These, plus the other friends I mentioned last time, made this move bearable (or at least almost bearable.) My adice is--if you are thinking of moving, don't, unless you can arrange for someone else to do all the packing and unpacking for you.


Late this afternoon, I left Dorothy looking dazed but pleased in
amongst a plethora of book boxes. "Where did all of this stuff come
from?" she was overheard to have exclaimed!

Her one bedroom apartment is in SF's Middle Richmond District neighborhood, most of the way down Geary toward Ocean Beach. It is a predominantly Asian neighborhood that, like San Francisco itself, defies easy categorization. The Russian Orthodox cathedral is a few doors down, and a recent influx of Russian Jews also keep the
neighborhood
hopping.

We enjoyed a fashionately late Vietnamese lunch together at about
3:00 PM. It was across the street from Gordo's taqueria, which was a
stone's throw from the India Clay Oven, that squared off against a new (to
me) Thai restaurant. It is Cosmopolitan without being pretentious,
nor does it sport the exposed breasts, for that matter.

I left her with with a functioning stero and a new, housewarming
CD of the Deli (hold the mayo) Lama chanting (each of you will receive
one, too) as he is being back up by the Mon-kettes. Her first-story apartment is light, airey, and quiet, as it faces away from Geary
Street and toward the Presidio to the north.

She is having a DSL line installed, but until that happens, she
can't get on line. Her phone is now working, but she can't call out long distance. That means that you can call her, but, as of today and probably tomorrow, she couldn't call you. Or me, for that matter.


The above was written the day of the move itself (March 14). Since then, I have managed to get connected electronically with the outside world once again. And I have begun to appreciate some of the other advantages of this location. Just across the street is a 24-hour chain grocery. Outside my door is one of the major bus routes of the city. It takes me to the cultural center of the city in 20-30 minutes. To the west is the Pacific Ocean ten minutes away. And to the north is one of the most magical areas in the city, where one can literally feel the lovely energies of that particular area near the bay.

And I have begun to enjoy the many delights of San Francisco once more. I have twice attended the symphony. Last week I heard Shostakovich played by the S. F. Symphony Orchestra, conducted by the great cellist/conductor Rostropovich. At the age of eighty he is amazingly vital and energetic. I was honored to be present at this performance, given his world stature. I had heard him play the cello in concert once many long years ago, but he retains all his youthful vigor and spirit.

And, needless to say, I have begun to explore the many outstanding ethnic restaurants in my neighborhood. San Francisco is one of the great culinary centers of the country, and anyone who lives here is very lucky, for the competition is so fierce that prices are quite affordable.

So I feel lucky to be settling in, in such an interesting and accessible location. I also have friends in this area, and tonight Joyce and I will meet for dinner at the Indian restaurant which Michael mentioned above.

As of now, I am desperately trying to catch up on e-mail which accumulated during the time my computer was off line. It is a great joy to reconnect with my friends around the country, for I think of them as a sustaining network.

And I am still trying to find time to type up the poems I have written recently. It is a busy and fulfilling time. The new chapter is off to a good start.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?