Kundalini Splendor

Kundalini Splendor <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, April 24, 2006

Tranquility and Ecstasy 

Recently, I have been reflecting once more on what I think of as "the meditation of tranquility" (silent sitting meditation) and "the meditation of ecstasy" (bliss energies awakened through movement, music, dance, poetry,and the like.) I find I am more and more impatient with the notion of "containers," the prescribed forms and protocols which many turn to, to guide them in their spiritual progress.

For me, the essence is found in the free form experience which comes about naturally and often unexpectedly in certain transcendent moments. Once, when I asked someone why people followed the former (more formal, structured path), they answered that the practice itself was the following of the rules. Apparently, some seekers feel that by adhering to a code of conduct, they fulfill their spiritual needs.

Just now, I was listening to a recording by the teacher known familiarly as "Guru Maiya." She recited a poem by Kabir, which reflects my own preference, the heart dancing in ecstasy, not the forms and prescriptions of organized creeds and practices.




There is a great poet/saint called Kabira.
In his song he said, "Dance, my heart,
dance today in ecstasy,
dance, my heart,
dance today in ecstasy.

Love fills the days and nights
with music
and the world is listening to its melody.

In its upsurge of divine love
the planets and stars
are dancing with ecstasy.

In its upsurge of its divine love
the planets and stars
are dancing with ecstasy.

Each new birth of a soul
is a matter of great joy.
The hills and the sea and the earth
dance.

All humanity celebrates this bliss
with laughter and tears.
Dance, my heart, dance today
in ecstasy.

Just wearing the outer robes
of a monk or priest
is not enough.
Just doing the pranayama,
up and down, up and down,
is not enough.

Why stay away from this world?
What matters is
the flame of love
kindled in the heart.

Behold, my heart dances
in the delight of a thousand hearts
and the creator is drawn
to my love.

Dance, my heart,
dance today,
with ecstasy."

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?