Kundalini Splendor

Kundalini Splendor <$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Buddha, Bliss, and Seeing Faces 

Today was again a "good meditation day." I recommend the movements of chi gong to everyone who can find a teacher. I myself do only the basic moves--really, the "preparation stretches." And yet these, in themselves, are wonderfully invigorating and pleasurable.

Today, as I began, many images began to flow inwardly. First there was Buddha, not as a mature wise man, but as a young, athletic fellow, who sort of merged with my "Sturdy Boy" to guide me through my movements. Then, in rather swift succession, I saw a dancing Tara (who brought in sensations of bliss), a Sanskrit "Om," and, once more, the fellow in the mortar board hat, who was dressed in flowing silk robes with elongated sleeves. He was also a teacher, and demonstrated "fan work." And I was "given" his name (Master Chi--that is, master of the chi energies.) We all seem to realize that these are nicknames, useful for purposes of identity.

Recently, some of my friends and I have been comparing notes about "seeing faces." (Faces which morph into other faces when we look with "soft eyes"). Some see animals as well as humans, or even non-human objects. Sometimes these images pick up on favorite possessions or thoughts of the subject (cats for a cat lover, Mona Lisa for an art history major). Some animal communicators say that animals use images to "talk" with one another. And some psychics (for example, John Edwards) appear to get much of their information through images, rather than language.

Now, I know little about martial arts as such, but I have seen practitioners in the park use fans in place of swords during their sessions. I am going to try to find out more about this usage (I myself would certainly prefer the fan to the weapon, given what each implies.)

And today was quite special, for this afternoon I purchased a thangka (wall hanging) of a Buddha. An import store was clearing its stock, and had everything marked half price. Well, the Buddha seemed to have my name on it, so I bought it. I knew it was the right decision when I felt its energies (by running my hand over it), and discovered they were very sweet. It now hangs on my living room wall.

Some of my feminist friends might wonder why I bought a male figure rather than a female. Of course, the basic answer is that I was drawn to it. The depiction is not that of a stereotyped male. This Buddha is very androgynous, someone who might as well be female as male. "He" is young and delicate of feature. And, for me, he represents not a person (nor a belief system) but an ideal--this figure is an emblem of compassionate wisdom. I think I am seeking to get more closely in touch with these attributes. As I have said often, bliss and compassion are two sides of a single coin. Both are essential if we are to realize our complete nature.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?