Kundalini Splendor

Kundalini Splendor <$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Calla Lilies and Cherry Blossoms 




I woke this morning with a certain sense of sadness. Yes, it was a day of celebration, of renewal, and rebirth. But I kept remembering the other face of this holy day--crucifixion and suffering, and how these are being played out in our world. There is, of course, the deplorable situation in Tibet. But we also are guilty of crucifying the one known as the "Prince of Peace" with our continued action in Iraq and Afghanistan.

As I thought of the many affluent Americans on their way to church (in my mind, they were dressed in expensive clothes and driving fancy cars), I wondered if they were aware of the shadow lurking in the trunk--the shadow of this country's shameful action which has (again, in my mind) disgraced us before the world and robbed us of our own sense of honor and moral purpose.

My reflection may have been inspired by seeing a brief bit on television last night about the new food rations now being served to the military. Included was something wrapped in paper (a candy bar, I believe) which was labeled "First Strike Candy" on the front. What kind of country, I wondered, would flaunt its role as an aggressor nation in such a shameless way? What nation could be in such denial about its own deplorable conduct?

Later I went to the park and discovered that spring was well under way there. Being among the flowering Calla lilies, the gorgeous cherry blossoms, and the many happy visitors did much to restore my spirits. It seemed as though everyone was out today. I saw babies of all ethnicities and sizes, young people with slim legs puffing along with heart measuring gadgets on their arms, old couples slowly making their way up the steps from one level to the next.

At one point I stopped to watch children and their parents playing and picnicking on the grass meadow below. Now, of course, my eyesight is not the best, but as I looked at these happy families, I felt as though I were a visitor from elsewhere--the scene looked like an impressionist painting, an event which I as onlooker could never be part of. Is this the way angels feel, I wondered? Disembodied spirits who can view the world but never participate in it?

But there were sun and flowers and folks enjoying themselves all around. The latter spoke various languages, but all were having a good time.

The small island in the middle of the lake seemed to be covered with Calla lilies. And--once you begin to photograph Calla lilies, there is no stopping. One after another they opened to the joy of the sunlit day. Some were big, some small, all blazing in affirmation. And then there were the cherry blossoms, which reminded me of the picture I gave to my mother once when I was a child. To me, they were the most beautiful thing I could imagine, and now here they were before me, offering themselves to be adored.

So--it was a lovely day after all. The human spirit--the fundamental goodness of the human heart, the ability to find joy in the most basic things of all--these will surely get us through, if we can just hang on a few more months.

We acknowledge the shadow, but we embrace the light.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?