Kundalini Splendor

Kundalini Splendor <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Poem by Linda Pastan 


The Almanac of Last Things


From the almanac of last things

I choose the spider lily

for the grace of its brief

blossom, though I myself

fear brevity,


but I choose The Song of Songs

because the flesh

of those pomegranates

has survived

all the frost of dogma.

I choose January with its chill

lessons of patience and despair--and

August, too sun-struck for lessons.

I choose a thimbleful of red wine


to make my heart race,
then another to help me sleep.


From the almanac


of last things I choose you,


as I have done before.

And I choose evening
because the light clinging


to the window


is at its most reflective

just as it is ready

to go out.

Linda Pastan

(Carnival Evening: New and Selected Poems 1968-1998)


(photo by Susan Voison)


(Note: The spacing on this poem is incorrect--my computer seems to have a mind of its own and doesn't want to take orders from me. But the images are indeed sublime. Linda Pastan is one of our most gifted poets.)







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?