Kundalini Splendor

Kundalini Splendor <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, April 06, 2009

Surprise Blessings 


Surprise Blessings


Once again, I find that my life is graced with unexpected gifts, moments of joy which I had not (and could not have) anticipated.

On Friday, I went to a kirtan (Hindu song and response) in a yoga center south of San Francisco. The kirtan was lovely--good lead singers, musicians, drummers--all young and talented. But perhaps most exciting of all were the dancers--folks from the audience who got up and danced spontaneously at the back of the room. I watched with delight one young woman in particular as she leapt into the air, hair tossing from side to side, durint the ecstatic pieces. Then, during the slow, meditative segments, she swayed back and forth with indescribable grace, gently moving arms and body to the slow rhythms. I felt as though I had gone back in time to a goddess ceremony--indeed she reminded me of some of the dancing figures depicted on early art works.

Yesterday, my friend Joyce and I set out for yet another kirtan by Jai Uttal, one of the primary performers of this ancient Indian mode of devotion. (Kirtans were and are sung by the people of villages as part of their homage to the deities.) They are simple songs, often consisting of repetitions of the name of the god or goddess. They utilitize the form of call and response between the leader and the audience, and the effect can be quite hypnotic.

On the way to Spirit Rock, the Buddhist meditation center which was our destination, we stopped at a newly opened spiritual "gift shop" in Fairfax, a suburb north and west of San Francisco.. This is where I had experienced the wondrous evening a few weeks ago when the Hawaiian "kapuna" (wise woman and healer) spoke. As before, I entered an altered state even before I stepped in the door of the "Chrystal Chalice," which indeed is filled with crystals of all shapes and sizes as well as other sacred items.

After we had been there several minutes, I noticed a woman seated on the floor in the corner--she was in deep meditation. I stepped over quietly to take part, and at that point entered a bliss field that was one of pure rapture. I stood, bowing my head in silence, allowing the waves of joy to wash through my subtle body. She was then joined by a second woman, who began sounding a huge crystal bowl, and these vibrations added to the overall effect of extremely high energy. After a few minutes, the meditator opened her eyes, rose and came back into "our world." I asked her what was going on here to produce such an amazing result and she explained that this half hour (from 3:00 to 3:30) on this particular day had been designated as a time for univeral meditation for raising planetary vibration by the Hathors. Now, I know who the Hathors are. They are described as disembodied spirits who at one time were connected with Egypt and now operate as earth helpers somewhere off planet. Their messages are frequently channeled by Tom Kenyon, an amazing sound healer whose C. D.'s I have heard (he sometimes channels sounds as well as language). The woman who had struck the crystal bowl during the meditation said that she was a student of Tom's--and I don't remember what the first woman said, but obviously she was "tuned in" to the Hathor frequency.

I am always a bit cautious about accepting claims of earth messages arriving form spirits located somewhere in outer space, but this experience gave me something to contemplate. If the effect of such planet wide meditations can be so intense, then indeed anything seems possible, The experience had a profound effect on me, for I felt connected to a vibratory field very high, rich, beautiful and overflowing with bliss. I felt blessed to have stumbled upon such an amazing experience.

More surprises were in store. When Joyce and I arrived at the grounds of the meditation center, several wild turkeys greeted us, some with tails spread in perfect fans, just as the Thanksgiving pictures depict them. I was delighted, for I realized that I had never in all these years seen a wild turkey display in this way.

The concert was quite lovely as we might expect. I was particularly taken with the flautist, Namose (a beautiful young Indian looking male with a pony tail), who coaxed pure magic from his instrument. After the concert, he was standing outside in the lobby beside his C.D.'s that were for sale, and of course I bought one. He warned me that the one I had picked up was "meditation music." "Fine," I answered. Then he added, "It contains Tibetan chanting as well," "Fine," I answered. (I am used to being taken for the stereotypical elder who knows little of esoteric modes.) I then told him how much I had loved what he he played on his flute during the concert. In fact, it was the most beautiful flute music I have ever heard. And then I was surprised and delighted when he picked up a second C. D. which he gave to me "as a blessing." And indeed I felt blessed.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?