Kundalini Splendor

Kundalini Splendor <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, October 29, 2009

"Let's Go Home" (poem by Rumi) 




Let's Go Home

Late and starting to rain, it's time to go home.
We've wandered long enough in empty buildings.
I know it's tempting to stay and meet those new people.
I know it's even more sensible
to spend the night here with them,
but I want to be home.

We've seen enough beautiful places with signs on them
saying "This Is God's House".
That's seeing the grain like the ants do,
without the work of harvesting.
Let's leave grazing to cows and go
where we know what everyone really intends,
where we can walk around without clothes on.

Rumi
(Version by Coleman Barks)

(Note: Once when I was a child in Oklahoma, an ice storm came late in the spring. I was totally dazzled by the beauty of the elm trees encased in their lovely crystal coverings. I literally danced all the way to school,for I felt I had entered an ice-bedecked paradise. I have never forgotten that day of total magic, of oneness. As children we enter easily into communion with the natural world, and indeed, as Wordsworth said, "Heaven lies about us in our infancy." Children are, I think, natural mystics, and we are lucky if we can retain some of that gift into adulthood.

I think Kundalini does much to restore us to that earlier state, for it helps us to respond to things at a deeper level. Even the sight of a bird or tree can give us infinite delight.

And as for Rumi, the above poem is one of my all time favorites. It is very simple, yet it sums up what many of us feel often, the need to break away from social connections and go to the sanctuary of home, where we can be completely ourselves, and "walk around without clothes on."

Too much sophistication, too much complication and activity in our lives can keep us from connecting with our "original innocence," the source of our joy and the place of our beginnings.)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?