Kundalini Splendor

Kundalini Splendor <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Are the Human Energy Fields Real? 


Recently, I watched a segment on PBS on the question of human energy fields. A young high school student devised an experiment for her science class to test this theory. She had a practitioners of Therapeutic Touch each to place each hand through a hole in a cardboard barrier. She then placed her own hand a short distance above one of these hands (left or right). The TT practitioner was then asked to state which hand was receiving energy from the young woman. The results were no better than chance.

This experiment attracted a lot of attention as evidence that Therapeutic Touch was not a reliable healing tool, and that human energy fields were a myth. A major scientific journal even reported the experiment.

I find such "scientific" research and conclusions deplorable. I believe the experiment proved nothing at all--and there are various reasons why.

First, the therapeutic touch practitioners may not themselves have been sensitive to human energies. I know of at least one who says that she does not feel the energies of her patients, but feels the technique is nonetheless helpful.

Second, the young student may have had a weak energy field, one very difficult to detect.

Third, the "healer" may have been having an "off day." As with any talent, feeling the energy fields happens more easily on some days than others.

I personally often clearly feel the "energy fields" of various persons and even (sometimes) objects. Recently I attended a workshop in which we stood face to face with our partners. On the first day, I was very "up" and felt lovely energies emanating from the many partners I worked with. Next day, I did not feel well, and felt nothing similar. More than once I have felt the energy field of inanimate objects--particularly paintings or certain art objects (but not all by any means.) And I frequently have felt the energies of strangers on the street, or when waiting for a bus or standing in line somewhere. So, for me, the little experiment is irrelevant, since I know from first hand experience that the energies are quite real. To try to prove or disprove their existence through such crude experiments is absurd and even outside of standard scientific protocol. It is like asking someone who is blind whether or not rainbows have color.

One last thought--haven't I read that today scientific instruments have been created which fo indeed pick up on the subtle energy fields and hence have "proved" their existence?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?