Kundalini Splendor

Kundalini Splendor <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Ryokan––"Things" 






Things

My house is buried in the deepest recess of the forest
Every year, ivy vines grow longer than the year before.
Undisturbed by the affairs of the world I live at ease,
Woodmen’s singing rarely reaching me through the trees.
While the sun stays in the sky, I mend my torn clothes
And facing the moon, I read holy texts aloud to myself.
Let me drop a word of advice for believers of my faith.
To enjoy life’s immensity, you do not need many things.

~ Ryokan

Ryokan was a maverick Japanese Zen poet/hermit who lived from 1738-1831.  Here is the description of Ryokan from poetry chaikhana:

His reputation for gentleness was sometimes carried to comical extremes. A tale is told that, one day when Ryokan returned to his hut he discovered a robber who had broken in and was in the process of stealing the impoverished monk's few possessions. In the thief's haste to leave, he left behind a cushion. Ryokan grabbed the cushion and ran after the thief to give it to him. This event prompted Ryokan to compose one of his best known poems:

The thief left it behind:
the moon
at my window.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?