Kundalini Splendor

Kundalini Splendor <$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, April 24, 2020

A Musical Detour 

A Musical Detour

I meant to scan my mail inbox, see if there was anything personal for me, but on the way got detoured by sound.  First, I ran across the gorgeous "Flower  Song" from Delibe's opera "Lakme." Then I was captured by Renee Fleming's "Casta Diva".  And lastly it was the beautiful Aida Garifullina also singing "Casta Diva".  All of these are on Youtube and have been seen and heard by millions.  

I noticed that Aida's performance seemed to have an unusual number of Asians in the orchestra and then I read that she was singing in Seoul.  I was also pleased at the number of women in this orchestra.  It was delightful to think of the east/west cultural mix in this recital.

By the way, "Casta Diva" means "Pure Goddess" and is sung in Bellini's opera "Norma" by the high priestess of the Druids, who have been invaded by the Romans.  Unknown to her followers, she has fallen in love with a Roman, hence her dilemma.

Whatever the transgressions of T. V. may be in their popular programming, offerings such as these digital concerts (on YouTube) compensate for much.





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?